Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bead Journal Project/January Beginnings

While I am actually much further along in my piece I wanted to share the first picture I took after reading Robin Atkin's post "Taking and Editing Quality Photos of Beads and Beadwork".  Also, Gerry Krueger had some good advice on our BJP 3 blog about resizing photos.  Excellent advice from both women, thank you! I don't have all the beads displayed that I plan on using.  The original beaded piece will be 4" x 6" with a 1" border (there is a 3" border in the picture so that I will have 2" to stretch behind the mounting board).


There are 3 machine embroidered snowflakes--I want to see if I can incorporate machine embroidery into each of my pieces without the embroidery becoming a focal point (just an excuse to use my lovely embroidery machine).  The piece is titled "I wish It Would Snow" as I live, for the moment, in SE Texas and it was actually, kind of, snowing on the day I conceived of my idea.  The white at the bottom will be partial snow mounds and I will have a purple twilight because, well, just because I can.  What I love the most so far?  If you look at my purple geode you will see that I glued it partially "out of bounds."  As stated in the rules there are NO bead police, and for someone who used to dispatch for the California Highway Patrol, rules are a big deal!  So, even though I said my piece is 4" x 6" I sneaked it a little larger.  I get to ignore the rules!!!! Well, sometimes I will ignore the rules (if you could see me now I am tap dancing with glee in my head).  I live in a very remote area and just getting the beads was an adventure in itself, but I will save that story for another day........

12 comments:

  1. the colors are gorgeous and i love the snowflakes! i can't wait to see how this one turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks to be a wonderful piece! Love the colors. I also love your beautiful horse photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Machine embroidery, pieced fabrics, lavender and white beads, a joyful spirit... what could be better?!!! You're doing it, Sharon!!!! And your photo looks great. I clicked-to-enlarge it... lovely! You've made a great start with blogging too. Although I don't know what happened that you noticed starting 10 years ago, I've seen that participating in the BJP can be very healing. The more you are involved with the BJP community, the more you will feel our support. That's been an un-planned benefit... a huge one! I look forward to seeing some in-progress photos and maybe a close up of your geode if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon:
    Nice to meet you.
    this group LOVES progress pictures. Also the commentary that goes with the pictures. This is my second year and I have found some of the best cyber friends ever.

    I love the colors you chose. Seems so funny to hear someone in TX talk about snow. I live in the midwest and we get so much I would love to send it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my favorite colors -- this will be beautiful! I'm eager to follow your progress, thanks for sharing as you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting project, and such luscious colors! I like the machine embroidery mix-in too -- there's nothing wrong with collaging machine and hand-work, in my opinion. It lets you go places you couldn't have otherwise. Perhaps next year I'll be ambitious enough to try a quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is going to be fun following your progress and what great colors to work on in January.
    mk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors you have picked! Looking forward to seeing how you work it all together. Come on up and I'll let you take all the snow you want Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to blogging and to the BJP! You don't specify what your physical challenges are but I bet I can relate better than most as I am forced to be a slave to my bodies needs too. I hope you'll find joy and peace and a degree of healing in your bead embroidery. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, everyone's comments have been so encouraging! I cherish each one and find they give me the umph I need to keep going. I will find a better (close up) picture of the geode as Robin suggested and post it. Kali, it does look like I'm making a quilt, but I'm not that ambitious, honest!!! My idea was to put each month in a shadow box but after viewing Robins blog about what others have done with their projects I may do something different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see you up and running. My sister is down in Schulenberg TX with her horses, you must be nearby. I love that you have got snow down there! I am excited to see what you are going to do with all that lavender!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowee, these purples are absolutely luscious! I am SO looking forward to where you take this piece.

    I'm also glad that you've gotten involved in the BJP, I think Robin is correct about the possibility of it being a healing "adventure". I know that when I'm creating, whether it's melting glass, making felted objects, or doing bead work, I kind of get into a zone and the other stuff in my life takes a back seat. And when I have finished something, it gives me such a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction. From what I see here, you're off to a wonderful start!

    And FAWNA-JUR sure is a beauty. :-)

    ReplyDelete